AHS soccer shuts out Roaring
September 20, 2002
The Aspen High boys soccer team recorded its first league win Thursday in a 4-0 blanking of Roaring Fork at the AHS field.
Senior Phil Salazar had two goals, and senior Reid Hansen and junior Scott Wooley had one apiece. Aspen took a 3-0 lead at halftime, and sophomore Tyler Baker got the shutout in goal, a career first.
With the win, Aspen improved to 2-4 overall and 1-3 in Class 3A Western Slope League play.
“They played well. They’re starting to play with a little bit of confidence, tossing the ball around and looking pretty loose,” said Grant “Junior” Sutherland, who coaches Aspen with John Gillies.
Hansen, Wooley and senior Nick Farrell also had assists.
On Saturday, Aspen hosts St. Mary’s of Colorado Springs at 1 p.m. at the AHS field. It’s the second of two non-league games for Aspen against a Front Range power.
Recommended Stories For You
“We know we’ve got a tough game Saturday, but the guys have the heart and passion to do it,” Sutherland said. “They just haven’t had the breaks going for them.”
“They beat us last year when we played, and I’m sure they’re a strong team.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west