AHS golf tees off at regionals
September 18, 2002
The Aspen High School boys golf team tees off at the Haymaker golf course in Steamboat Springs today for a chance to advance to the Class 4A Colorado Golf State Championship.
The team of four seniors, Ryan Doremus, Peter Vandomelen, Scott Tarbet and Nate Walla, will be competing against about 25 teams in the 18-hole Western Slope Regional Tournament. Only the top two teams advance to the state tournament, based on each team’s top three scores, along with the top 10 individual players. The AHS team was scheduled to play a practice round at Haymaker on Tuesday.
“The team’s capable of winning,” AHS coach Alden Richards said Monday. “I anticipate a good showing. We’re one of the top three contenders going up there and I think we’ll make it to state.”
Walla, who has played in the state tournament the last two years, is Aspen’s top gun with a scoring average of 74 on the season. Tarbet isn’t far off that pace, averaging 76 on the season, while Doremus and Vandomelen are averaging 83 and 86, respectively.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)