AHS golf tees off at regionals
September 18, 2002
The Aspen High School boys golf team tees off at the Haymaker golf course in Steamboat Springs today for a chance to advance to the Class 4A Colorado Golf State Championship.
The team of four seniors, Ryan Doremus, Peter Vandomelen, Scott Tarbet and Nate Walla, will be competing against about 25 teams in the 18-hole Western Slope Regional Tournament. Only the top two teams advance to the state tournament, based on each team’s top three scores, along with the top 10 individual players. The AHS team was scheduled to play a practice round at Haymaker on Tuesday.
“The team’s capable of winning,” AHS coach Alden Richards said Monday. “I anticipate a good showing. We’re one of the top three contenders going up there and I think we’ll make it to state.”
Walla, who has played in the state tournament the last two years, is Aspen’s top gun with a scoring average of 74 on the season. Tarbet isn’t far off that pace, averaging 76 on the season, while Doremus and Vandomelen are averaging 83 and 86, respectively.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Aspen skier, 2018 Olympian Wiley Maple healthy, ready for World Cup season
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division