AHS golf tees off at regionals
September 18, 2002
The Aspen High School boys golf team tees off at the Haymaker golf course in Steamboat Springs today for a chance to advance to the Class 4A Colorado Golf State Championship.
The team of four seniors, Ryan Doremus, Peter Vandomelen, Scott Tarbet and Nate Walla, will be competing against about 25 teams in the 18-hole Western Slope Regional Tournament. Only the top two teams advance to the state tournament, based on each team’s top three scores, along with the top 10 individual players. The AHS team was scheduled to play a practice round at Haymaker on Tuesday.
“The team’s capable of winning,” AHS coach Alden Richards said Monday. “I anticipate a good showing. We’re one of the top three contenders going up there and I think we’ll make it to state.”
Walla, who has played in the state tournament the last two years, is Aspen’s top gun with a scoring average of 74 on the season. Tarbet isn’t far off that pace, averaging 76 on the season, while Doremus and Vandomelen are averaging 83 and 86, respectively.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Briefs: Basalt softball splits with Rifle, awaits Delta in key league games
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman