AHS girls lose opener
December 6, 2013
The Aspen High School girls basketball team opened the season Friday on the road at the annual Vail Christian Tournament.
The Skiers, with a slow start offensively, fell to Shining Mountain Waldorf School, of Boulder, 25-17 in the first round of the tourney.
Shining Mountain jumped out to a 6-2 lead after the opening quarter. Shining Mountain led 13-6 at halftime.
The Skiers picked up the offense in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Lions 9-5.
The win was the first of the season for Shining Mountain (1-0).
The Skiers (0-1), led by first-year head coach Rolf Schildman, will play host Vail Christian at 3:30 p.m. today in the Vail Christian Tournament.
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen girls will open the Class 3A Western Slope League season Tuesday at Grand Valley.
The Skiers will play at West Grand (Kremmling) in a nonleague game Dec. 13. They will close the pre-holiday schedule by hosting Cedaredge on Dec. 17 in a conference game.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)
- What’s the Big Deal: Snowmass condo sale nears $3.8 million