AHS girls lose opener
December 6, 2013
The Aspen High School girls basketball team opened the season Friday on the road at the annual Vail Christian Tournament.
The Skiers, with a slow start offensively, fell to Shining Mountain Waldorf School, of Boulder, 25-17 in the first round of the tourney.
Shining Mountain jumped out to a 6-2 lead after the opening quarter. Shining Mountain led 13-6 at halftime.
The Skiers picked up the offense in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Lions 9-5.
The win was the first of the season for Shining Mountain (1-0).
The Skiers (0-1), led by first-year head coach Rolf Schildman, will play host Vail Christian at 3:30 p.m. today in the Vail Christian Tournament.
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen girls will open the Class 3A Western Slope League season Tuesday at Grand Valley.
The Skiers will play at West Grand (Kremmling) in a nonleague game Dec. 13. They will close the pre-holiday schedule by hosting Cedaredge on Dec. 17 in a conference game.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen-area men die in backcountry avalanche near Crested Butte
- Aspen-area has suffered the brunt of Colorado’s fatal avalanches this year
- Aspen man charged in political official assault
- What’s the Big Deal: $6.8 million for luxury cabin outside of Aspen
- Monday Business Briefs: Little Nell and Steakhouse No. 316 get props; Aspen estate bound for auction