AHS girls lose opener
December 6, 2013
The Aspen High School girls basketball team opened the season Friday on the road at the annual Vail Christian Tournament.
The Skiers, with a slow start offensively, fell to Shining Mountain Waldorf School, of Boulder, 25-17 in the first round of the tourney.
Shining Mountain jumped out to a 6-2 lead after the opening quarter. Shining Mountain led 13-6 at halftime.
The Skiers picked up the offense in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Lions 9-5.
The win was the first of the season for Shining Mountain (1-0).
The Skiers (0-1), led by first-year head coach Rolf Schildman, will play host Vail Christian at 3:30 p.m. today in the Vail Christian Tournament.
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen girls will open the Class 3A Western Slope League season Tuesday at Grand Valley.
The Skiers will play at West Grand (Kremmling) in a nonleague game Dec. 13. They will close the pre-holiday schedule by hosting Cedaredge on Dec. 17 in a conference game.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border