AHS boys tennis scores at state championships
October 14, 2014
The Aspen High School boys tennis team wrapped up the season at the soggy State Tennis Championships last weekend in Pueblo.
The Skiers finished tied for ninth place in the Class 4A state championships. Aspen plays up in the 4A classification in tennis; the Skiers are 3A in most other sports.
Aspen finished tied with Alexander Dawson School with 5 points each at the state meet. Aspen beat Alexander Dawson in a dual to close the regular season.
"At No. 2 singles, Henry Godfrey picked up one point, and the No. 1 doubles team of Dylan Behr and Gordon Carr picked up 2 points," said Aspen head coach Gary Quandt. "And the No. 3 doubles team of David Mondry and William Reagan also picked up 2 points to make up the 5 points. "
No. 1 singles Dillon Leasure, the No. 2 doubles team of Andy Vernier and Cooper Helm, and the No. 4 doubles team of Gage Carr and Victor Dunn lost in the first round at state and did not get a chance for playbacks.
"The Aspen boys had a great season, going undefeated in dual matches and finishing higher in the three tournaments they played than ever before," said Quandt, also the director of tennis at the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club. "I'm really proud of the boys this season."
Recommended Stories For You
He said the Skiers played strong tennis all year.
"They won some big matches, beating Grand Junction twice when we have never beaten them before," Quandt said. "The boys did great."
He said the team will lose five seniors. The team also sported four-year letterman Dylan Behr, three-year lettermen Gordon Carr and Alexander Reagan , two-year lettermen William Reagan and David Mondry and first-year letterman Cooper Helm.
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure lost to Keenan Kaltenbacher (Air Academy) 6-7, 6-0, 6-2
No. 2 singles: Henry Godfrey def Lain Roy (Palmer Ridge) 6-3, 6-2, lost to Stefan Orton-Urbina (Air Academy) 6-3, 6-4
No. 1 doubles Dylan Behr/Gordon Carr def. Nathan Stauffer/Michael Craig (Littleton) 6-2, 6-2, lost to Kevin Adams/Niko Hereford (Kent Dever) 6-2, 6-1, def. Jack Kochenberger/Sam Moore (Pueblo Central) 6-3, 6-1, lost to Jack Erdle/Mitch Erdle (Mullen) 6-4, 7-6
No. 2 doubles: Andy Vernier/Cooper Helm lost Blaine Wuertz/Jake Thornally (Air Academy) 6-4, 7-5
No. 3 doubles: David Mondry/William Reagan Nathan Tucker/Jacob Liberty (Windsor) 6-1, 6-4, lost to Andrew Thompson/Travis Rease (Kent Denver) 6-1, 6-0, def. Zach Wilcox/Kyle Rex (Palmer Ridge) 1-6, 6-0, 7-5, lost to Jared Bourgain/Eli Mills (Mullen) 6-2, 6-2
No. 4 doubles: Gage Carr/Victor lost to Gavyn Pure/Seth Clemente (Dawson) 6-4, 6-4
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director