AHS boys open year with win
December 10, 2013
The Aspen High School boys basketball team opened the season with a tense 69-66 victory at Grand Valley on Tuesday night in a back-and-forth game.
"Unbelievable game," Aspen head coach Steve Ketchum said. "Grand Valley hit 12 3-pointers; they shot the lights out."
He said the Skiers trailed by one entering the fourth quarter.
"We made some defensive adjustments, and Clayton Crawford shut down their big scorer," Ketchum said after the Skiers outscored the Cardinals 20-16 in the fourth quarter for the win.
Trent Lichtenwalter, with a flurry of points in the final quarter, led Aspen with 26 points. Crawford added 19. Evan Patzoldt scored 12.
"Levi Wright … had a couple of big 3s. And Dominic Alcorta had several key steals," Ketchum said.
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen boys (1-0) will face three more games this week in the annual Glenwood Springs Tournament, starting Thursday against the Demons at 7 p.m.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen skier, 2018 Olympian Wiley Maple healthy, ready for World Cup season
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)
- Taft Conlin skier death lawsuit against Vail Resorts to begin June 11