Aspen High boys golf wins regional title on Monday in Delta; state Oct. 2-3 in Lafayette
September 19, 2017
The Aspen High School boys golf team won its ninth straight regional title on Monday at Devil's Thumb Golf Course in Delta, and it wasn't much of a competition.
In what is believed to be a first for the school, the Skiers had four players (only the top three officially score) finish under par. Aspen shot a collective 6-under-par 210 to win by 22 strokes over second place Basalt High School.
Aspen senior Carter Hall was the low medalist, shooting a 3-under-par 69 to win the regional title. AHS junior Dawson Holmes was second with 70, while AHS juniors Colter Zwieg and Dominic Lanese each shot a 1-under-par 71 to tie for third. Delta's K.C. Carlson took fifth with 73.
Basalt had two golfers crack the top 10: Holden Kleager and Blake Exelbert each shot a 4-over-par 76 to tie for eighth. Basalt's Tanner Korn shot 80 to take 15th, and Drew Broadhurst 81 to tie for 16th.
Next, Aspen and Basalt will head to the 3A state tournament, held Oct. 2-3 at Indian Peaks in Lafayette, where the Skiers are likely to be among the tourney favorites considering their regional performance.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says