A golden time for runners
September 13, 2007
ASPEN ” The race is on in Aspen.
Runners from across the .United States will descend upon Aspen on Sept. 22 to participate in the 28th annual Vasque Golden Leaf Half Marathon.
Chosen by Trail Runner Magazine as one of “America’s 14 most scenic races,” the Golden Leaf will be held amidst the changing fall colors.
The course traverses the mountains of Snowmass and Aspen. The trail can be narrow and steep at times with elevation gains of 970 feet, peaking at 9,400 feet. Unlike the many fast and flat marathons on city streets, the Vasque Golden Leaf will challenge even the toughest of marathon competitors with its rocky mountain trails, race organizers say.
The race begins at 8 a.m. Event registration is available online at http://www.active.com or by contacting the Ute Mountaineer at http://www.utemountaineer.com, or 925-2849. Pre-registration costs $35.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Aspen’s affordable housing program faces budget shortfall