Vince Gill, Amy Grant for Challenge Aspen gala, golf classic
August 1, 2017
For the 14th consecutive year, singers Vince Gill and Amy Grant spent time this week in Snowmass and Aspen to help raise money and awareness for Challenge Aspen.
With a gala and small concert Monday night at the St. Regis and a big golf tournament Tuesday at the Snowmass Club, the pair was again happy to show their support for the organization, which is based in Snowmass and helps those with physical and mental challenges get outside to enjoy recreational sports.
"This is the best you're gonna get for free on a Monday night in August," Gill joked about their small concert, which included co-founder of the Nitty Gritty Dirty Band, Jeff Hanna, and his wife, Matraca Berg.
The charity received a record $110,000 bid during a live auction Monday as Grant said she and her husband would give one last private performance. They've done this for the past 13 years, but Grant said this would be the last time, and the bidding took off.
Monday's event also honored Challenge Aspen co-founder Houston Cowan, who recently stepped down as CEO after helping start the organization in 1995.
"I have to tell people I'm not retiring, I'm rewiring," Cowan told Monday's audience, which gave him a rousing standing ovation.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday