Snowmass history: Winter blast of broomball
January 30, 2018
During the last weekend of January 1968, Snowmass-at-Aspen held many festivities, including a fashion show and broomball, the Snowmass Villager reported. Eve Homeyer, owner of the House of Ireland, was the commentator for the show.
"'When Howard Englander asked me to present the first fashion show at Snowmass-at-Aspen I was surprised. It isn't often an Englander asks an Irelander to do anything.'"
However, one of the biggest attractions was the broomball game that "pitted executives of Snowmass-at-Aspen against Aspen Skiing Corp. executives". A few got into the "fun" and dressed up.
"Play was wild with the ball, the brooms and the players flying all over the place while spectators lined the balcony overlooking the natural ice rink at West Village to watch the contest of brainpower on ice. Aspen Skiing Corp. president S.R.C. Brown and Snowmass Advertising Manager Howard Englander broomed off for the first sweep."
The "brainpower" executives also included Skiing Corp. Marketing Manager Buzz Bainbridge, Pat "fanny Aspenglow" Dasko and West Village Assistant Manager Art Small. Fun appeared to have been had by all!
Trending In: Snowmass
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Sex assault suspects appear in court together in Aspen
- Aspen Snowmass among resorts trying to battle ‘snow hangover’ from last winter
- Camper occupant injured and driver arrested after crash
- Superintendent says Aspen district’s reputation unfairly attacked