Snowmass history: Happening now
August 29, 2017
"Snowmass: It's Happening Now," The Aspen Times reported on Aug. 31, 1967. "The same magic beans which provided the huge beanstalk that Jack climbed far into the sky have evidently been sown at Snowmass-at-Aspen. Since construction started soon after last winter's skiing season, the first village at the $10 million resort 7 miles west of Aspen has been transformed from a placid meadow into a burgeoning complex."
According to the article, "Although visitors will think of Snowmass-at-Aspen as a resort, developers consider it a resort-community. They speak of the 'potpourri of shops, five unique restaurants and night clubs featuring name entertainment' which are located within a snowball's throw of each other …' the center of après-ski sports and social life where lodge guests and home and condominium owners will converge after the day's last run.'"
Trending In: Snowmass
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Snowmass history: A brush with death
- Snowmass looks for strong start, last pieces of puzzle coming together
- Marolt: Snowmass Town Council making out-of-bound turns on a dangerous slope
- Snowmass council OKs asteroid-themed highway sign that arts board hopes to install on-mountain
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- River Valley Ranch Golf in Carbondale gets new owner