Masterpieces on the mall
September 10, 2013
If you walked around the Snowmass Village Mall or Base Village last week, you probably noticed something different with the pavement under your feet.
Twenty-five adults and teens and 35 kids turned out to show off their artistic skills at the fifth annual Chalk It Up competition on Aug. 24. Every year, residents and visitors are given a square of concrete on the Snowmass Village Mall to create a temporary work of art on, using only chalk. Kids 12 and younger chalk their colorful creations on the plaza in Base Village.
Winners don't go home empty-handed. First place in the open category receives $500, second place $250, and third place and people's choice $100. Children can win a $50 savings bond. The results of this year's competition are:
First place: Thea DeRudder, of Carbondale.
Second place: Jodie Eklund, of Snowmass Village.
Third place: Kurtis Sparrow, of Carbondale.
Recommended Stories For You
Peoples' choice: Jodie Eklund, of Snowmass Village.
High school: Mia Altieri, of San Diego.
Kids, 8 to 12: Tessa Conrardy.
Kids, 0 to 7: Stella Payne.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Arrest made in Basalt bottle case after cops stake out dumping ground
- Aspen icon ‘Benny the Blade’ found off bike path, hospitalized
- Jazz Aspen Snowmass close to buying building home to Eric’s, Su Casa and other tenants
- Ex-Aspen Valley Hospital nurse files federal complaint
- Accidental gun discharge in Aspen leads to probation