Masterpieces on the mall
September 10, 2013
If you walked around the Snowmass Village Mall or Base Village last week, you probably noticed something different with the pavement under your feet.
Twenty-five adults and teens and 35 kids turned out to show off their artistic skills at the fifth annual Chalk It Up competition on Aug. 24. Every year, residents and visitors are given a square of concrete on the Snowmass Village Mall to create a temporary work of art on, using only chalk. Kids 12 and younger chalk their colorful creations on the plaza in Base Village.
Winners don't go home empty-handed. First place in the open category receives $500, second place $250, and third place and people's choice $100. Children can win a $50 savings bond. The results of this year's competition are:
First place: Thea DeRudder, of Carbondale.
Second place: Jodie Eklund, of Snowmass Village.
Third place: Kurtis Sparrow, of Carbondale.
Recommended Stories For You
Peoples' choice: Jodie Eklund, of Snowmass Village.
High school: Mia Altieri, of San Diego.
Kids, 8 to 12: Tessa Conrardy.
Kids, 0 to 7: Stella Payne.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche