Letter: Embarrassed by bad choices
October 19, 2015
Embarrassed by bad choices
We have been Snowmass residents for almost two decades. We could hardly love the town more than we do. While there have been political and developmental disappointments, notably the sad saga of the Base Village, we have never before been embarrassed to say we live in Snowmass. But with the prospect that the town would stop fluoridating the water, we can't say that anymore.
Water fluoridation is one of the great public health success stories of the last century. The science is unequivocal. The evidence is exhaustive and could not be more clear. And there is no contrary evidence except things that are contorted from studies that have been thoroughly discredited. Opposition to fluoridation is little more than pseudoscience and conspiracy-theory-fueled nonsense spread by fanatics on websites designed to hoodwink the gullible.
We say this as more than just reasonably well-informed citizens. I am a physician certified in occupational and environmental health. I have edited leading textbooks and articles in environmental health, and I serve as a member of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, which sets the guidelines for this country, and followed in much of the world, in preventive medicine, screening and monitoring. My husband runs the policy and public programs of the Aspen Institute, including its work in health and medicine.
We certainly hope that the town will act in the best interest of its residents and continue water fluoridation.
Dr. Jessica Herzstein
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Snowmass
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Marolt: Snowmass Town Council making out-of-bound turns on a dangerous slope
- Base Village grand opening same weekend as Snowmass’ 50th last year, 2018-19 winter calendar released
- Skico president calls Snowmass leaders’ push to change Gwyn’s lease agreement ‘sort of ludicrous’
- Sky Mountain Park trails closed this week for elk hunting
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)