History: Group tourism comes to Snowmass
September 10, 2013
"Work begins on town meeting center," announced The Aspen Times in August 1983. "Snowmass Resort Association board president Larry Dempsey (left), Ted Driscoll, vice-president of the Professional Convention Management Association, and Snowmass Mayor Jeff Tippett turned the first spades during groundbreaking ceremonies Sunday (Aug. 21) for a $6 million conference center to be built in Snowmass. The center is scheduled to open in June 1985." The center was designed by Caudill Gustafson & Associates, of Aspen, and built by GE Johnson, of Colorado Springs.
Editor's note: This page is a partnership between the Snowmass Sun and the Aspen Historical Society with two primary goals in mind: to improve the knowledge of Snowmass history in the region and to collect historical photographs of the Snowmass region for the society. If you have pieces of history to donate, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-925-3721.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Town Council mulls plan for Snowmass Center redevelopment, fourth continued public hearing set
- Snowmass Chapel, Aspen Science Center, Aspen Journalism enter Base Village Building 6 mix
- Sidelined for another season
- Snowmass history: Ski trail name game
- Marolt: Like it or not, I am not a loyal Facebook friend
- Cops stanch Aspen’s weekend cocaine flow
- Homeowner near Aspen takes Starwood HOA to court over $900k in fines
- Developers walk away from lodge approval in Aspen’s West End
- City of Aspen preparing for upheaval of pedestrian malls
- Man arrested on theft charge for allegedly taking wine bottles from Aspen restaurant