History: Group tourism comes to Snowmass
September 10, 2013
"Work begins on town meeting center," announced The Aspen Times in August 1983. "Snowmass Resort Association board president Larry Dempsey (left), Ted Driscoll, vice-president of the Professional Convention Management Association, and Snowmass Mayor Jeff Tippett turned the first spades during groundbreaking ceremonies Sunday (Aug. 21) for a $6 million conference center to be built in Snowmass. The center is scheduled to open in June 1985." The center was designed by Caudill Gustafson & Associates, of Aspen, and built by GE Johnson, of Colorado Springs.
Editor's note: This page is a partnership between the Snowmass Sun and the Aspen Historical Society with two primary goals in mind: to improve the knowledge of Snowmass history in the region and to collect historical photographs of the Snowmass region for the society. If you have pieces of history to donate, please send them to email@example.com or call 970-925-3721.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman