History: Group tourism comes to Snowmass
September 10, 2013
"Work begins on town meeting center," announced The Aspen Times in August 1983. "Snowmass Resort Association board president Larry Dempsey (left), Ted Driscoll, vice-president of the Professional Convention Management Association, and Snowmass Mayor Jeff Tippett turned the first spades during groundbreaking ceremonies Sunday (Aug. 21) for a $6 million conference center to be built in Snowmass. The center is scheduled to open in June 1985." The center was designed by Caudill Gustafson & Associates, of Aspen, and built by GE Johnson, of Colorado Springs.
Editor's note: This page is a partnership between the Snowmass Sun and the Aspen Historical Society with two primary goals in mind: to improve the knowledge of Snowmass history in the region and to collect historical photographs of the Snowmass region for the society. If you have pieces of history to donate, please send them to email@example.com or call 970-925-3721.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Roger Marolt: Not in a rush for something to happen here
- Marolt: The data is in — women are better than men
- Local chef Martin Oswald plans Snowmass restaurant debut with unique concept in Base Village
- Britta Gustafson: Grit — one quarter at a time
- History: A sliding scale of S’mass-East Coast ski conditions