History: Fanny’s Snack Bar
November 13, 2014
A new venture graces Lot A in Snowmass, according to The Aspen Times on Nov. 13, 1986. "Larry Hietala is a drywall contractor, handyman; and for the past two years he has been driving a bus for RFTA. He has seen the crowds gather at Lot A in Snowmass Village as day skiers head to and from the slopes.
What a great place for a snack bar.
Hietala called in a friend, Jim Engler, who also worked at RFTA, and the two now are partners in Fanny's Snack Bar and Ski Accessories, set to open this ski season.
'I noticed this building being utilized, but I don't think it was ever utilized properly,' said Hietala. 'I felt there was a definite need at this site for a place where a person could pick up a snack, coffee, pop while waiting for a bus or for a doughnut and cup of coffee after getting off the bus in the morning.'"
The area they utilized was slated to become part of the Base Village development back in the 1980s.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Marolt: Snowmass Town Council making out-of-bound turns on a dangerous slope
- Skico president calls Snowmass leaders’ push to change Gwyn’s lease agreement ‘sort of ludicrous’
- Snowmass Town Council motions to raise age to purchase tobacco products to 21
- Base Village grand opening same weekend as Snowmass’ 50th last year, 2018-19 winter calendar released
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)