History: Fair Day
September 3, 2013
"Everything is ready for the County Fair," assured The Aspen Times on Aug. 16, 1984. "The tents are up, the pies are baked, bouquets of flowers have been picked, the cows and horses groomed, the very best potatoes are ready for display. … The Pitkin County Fair will be held this weekend … at the Snowmass Rodeo Grounds." The lineup featured the Rocky Mountain Fiddle and Pickin' Championships, cow-pie-pitch contests, a livestock auction (4-H), a rodeo, a bake-off and a magic show along with more than 65 craft and food booths.
Editor's note: This page is a partnership between the Snowmass Sun and the Aspen Historical Society with
two primary goals in mind: to improve the knowledge of Snowmass history in the region and to collect historical photographs of the Snowmass region for the society. If you have pieces of history to donate, please send them to
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-925-3721.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7