Half of rec center gym still closed; update coming soon
January 17, 2018
About half of the gymnasium at the Snowmass Recreation Center remains closed after a flooding incident prior to the new year.
Approximately 2,200 square feet of the 4,800-square-foot gymnasium reopened to the public two weeks ago, according to Snowmass Parks, Recreation and Trails director Andy Worline.
A contractor from Denver visited the rec center Jan. 10 to assess the damage, though Worline said he is still uncertain if the repair will involve simply sanding and refinishing the floors or tearing them out and completely redoing them.
Upon offering the pros and cons of each route, Worline said the contractor would let him know more information on a repair timeline and financial estimates sometime this week.
A pipe from the pool filter system cracked Dec. 30 and flooded the gym.
The remainder of the Snowmass Recreation Center, including the cardio and weight room, fitness class area and aquatic facilities, is open.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Marolt: Snowmass Town Council making out-of-bound turns on a dangerous slope
- Skico president calls Snowmass leaders’ push to change Gwyn’s lease agreement ‘sort of ludicrous’
- Snowmass Town Council motions to raise age to purchase tobacco products to 21
- Snowmaking starts at Aspen Snowmass and natural snow accumulates at mountaintops
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River