Half of rec center gym still closed; update coming soon
January 17, 2018
About half of the gymnasium at the Snowmass Recreation Center remains closed after a flooding incident prior to the new year.
Approximately 2,200 square feet of the 4,800-square-foot gymnasium reopened to the public two weeks ago, according to Snowmass Parks, Recreation and Trails director Andy Worline.
A contractor from Denver visited the rec center Jan. 10 to assess the damage, though Worline said he is still uncertain if the repair will involve simply sanding and refinishing the floors or tearing them out and completely redoing them.
Upon offering the pros and cons of each route, Worline said the contractor would let him know more information on a repair timeline and financial estimates sometime this week.
A pipe from the pool filter system cracked Dec. 30 and flooded the gym.
The remainder of the Snowmass Recreation Center, including the cardio and weight room, fitness class area and aquatic facilities, is open.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Snowmass history: Bringing in butter from Brush Creek
- Zoppé Italian Family Circus back in Snowmass Base Village
- Marolt: It’s no big deal if you voted for Base Village, unless you now deny it
- Snowmass Town Council reviews regulations for pot shops, mayor no longer combating them
- Meet Snowmass Town Council for ‘Get the Scoop’ before group photo Thursday
- Aspen Councilman asked to stop but continues to email plaintiffs suing city over office building
- Business Monday: Not quite a free fall, but United fares between Aspen and Denver dropping
- Hiker airlifted off Maroon Peak after falling 100 feet into gully
- Aspen man’s mental health again a concern for Pitkin County judge
- U.S. Forest Service opposing Fryingpan, Arkansas rivers conditional rights in wilderness area