Half of rec center gym still closed; update coming soon
January 17, 2018
About half of the gymnasium at the Snowmass Recreation Center remains closed after a flooding incident prior to the new year.
Approximately 2,200 square feet of the 4,800-square-foot gymnasium reopened to the public two weeks ago, according to Snowmass Parks, Recreation and Trails director Andy Worline.
A contractor from Denver visited the rec center Jan. 10 to assess the damage, though Worline said he is still uncertain if the repair will involve simply sanding and refinishing the floors or tearing them out and completely redoing them.
Upon offering the pros and cons of each route, Worline said the contractor would let him know more information on a repair timeline and financial estimates sometime this week.
A pipe from the pool filter system cracked Dec. 30 and flooded the gym.
The remainder of the Snowmass Recreation Center, including the cardio and weight room, fitness class area and aquatic facilities, is open.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Former Aspen police chief dies after fall
- Starwood HOA countersues resident for languishing home project outside of Aspen
- Business Monday: Alterra Mountain Co., entrepreneur at odds over ‘Ikon’ trademark
- Brothers arrested in drug-trafficking ring over Garfield and Eagle counties
- Basalt grad traces her family roots back six generations to 1881 in valley