Forming a village
November 28, 2016
"Snowmass Village, a baby on its own" described the Nov. 30, 1978, Aspen Times. "Snowmass Village was incorporated on Sept. 20, 1977. The new town had until Nov. 22 to take over all the functions that had been divided by the county, the Snowmass Resort and Homeowners Assns. Last week, right on schedule, Mayor Jack Schuss proudly announced that it has all happened, and he invited the new officials of department heads to a birthday party. This summer it appeared that Schull and the newly elected officers had their work cut out for them. There was the matter of the county to agree to a distribution of the sales tax. The new town had to work out an agreement with the homeowners association to take over the maintenance and plowing of the roads. A similar arrangement had to be made with the Snowmass Resort Assn. (SRA) to take over roads that groups maintained and assume the collection of trash and garbage. The annexation of some 3,000 owned Snowmass Corp. lands was a major and primary goal. This week, Schuss said all of his aims are about to be realized. Agreements for road maintenance and plowing are expected to take effect Dec. 1. The town will assume the collection trash about Dec. 15. The annexation, which will give the town roughly 11 square miles of territory, will also be accomplished in mid-December."
Pictured in the image are the first Town of Snowmass Village staff in 1978. In front from left are Mary Drake and Demi Thompson, clerk and assistant, and Art Hoaglund, building inspector. Behind from left are Red Scarlet, director of the maintenance department; Mayor Jack Schuss; Larry Hall, supervisor of road maintenance; Steve Schubert, animal control officer; Joe Braun, equipment operator; Mike Kelly, town marshall; Joe Wells, planning consultant; and Greg Smith, supervisor of snowplowing.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Skico president calls Snowmass leaders’ push to change Gwyn’s lease agreement ‘sort of ludicrous’
- Snowmass Village pioneer, icon Dick Moebius celebrates 90
- Marolt: Snowmass Town Council making out-of-bound turns on a dangerous slope
- Snowmaking starts at Aspen Snowmass and natural snow accumulates at mountaintops
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Pay hike helps Aspen Skiing Co. fill entry-level positions
- Aspen superintendent supporters urge board to not placate parents
- What’s the Big Deal: Red Mountain property fetches $14.675 million