Celebrating — and making — history
August 13, 2013
History was honored and made this weekend at a gathering of longtime and former residents at the Viceroy Snowmass.
The Heritage Celebration, a Snowmass Rotary event, was chaired by Markey Butler. Jim Chaffin led a live auction and then after dinner moderated a lively discussion between former Janss Corporation developers Chuck Vidal, Bob Lowe and Rollie Herberg, and Jim Light. The developers talked about what it took to build a resort in less than a year.
"I didn't know enough at the time to know that wasn't a possible task, so I finished it," Lowe said.
The forum was followed by a presentation by Randy Woods, Britta Gustafson, Catherine Lutz and Paul Andersen, the team who produced the book "The Story of Snowmass." The book tells the history of the community, from the time when mammoths inhabited the valley to the ranching era to the development of the resort and the modern village. "The Story of Snowmass" is available for $60 at Sundance Liquor & Gifts in the Snowmass Center.
About 300 people attended the Aug. 10 event in the Viceroy ballroom.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche