Beathard: When just getting there is enough
January 19, 2016
Sometimes you just can't quite get there.
I loaded up the car Friday morning with a plan of skiing Snowmass for a couple hours before an 11:00 meeting I had set up at Fuel. We were running a bit behind but decided to stop for bagels anyway, and at a bakery that shall remain nameless we ran into our first problem — a lack of "speed of service," as my friend the experienced server called it. It seems logical to start toasting bagels while you're finishing up that skillet, but maybe multitasking isn't for everyone.
So we arrived at the base a little later than I'd hoped, but I decided to go ahead and park in the garage, so we loaded the gondola in no time.
But then the gondola stopped, and for a moment I thought we were going to be in the same boat as those folks on Buttermilk over Christmas. Luckily my friend had brought a bottle of champagne in his backpack for later — if we really get stranded here, we thought, at least we'll have a good time. Our Aussie friends sharing the car with us certainly perked up when they heard that.
Luckily 15 or 20 minutes later we were off and running again. Ultimately I got one long run from the top of High Alpine to the Mall, and with a couple inches of freshies and more falling, that was pretty darn fun. Next came my meeting with George Kelly, the vice president of the Texas Ski Council, who helped orchestrate the visit of some 300 Texans to Snowmass Village last week. Like me, George is from Dallas, and it was fun chatting about home.
Walking the Mall in search of my ski buddy later, I met some more Texans, also from my area and, interestingly, also journalists. I had fun with that — if you're reading, thank you for letting me chat you up in the middle of your lunch.
Recommended Stories For You
While I didn't quite get in the ski day I was hoping for, I still got the chance to chat with a lot of interesting new acquaintances and, of course, a good friend. Sometimes one run is all you get, but hey, it could be none.
Jill Beathard is the editor of the Snowmass Sun. Contact her at email@example.com.
Trending In: Snowmass
- Town Council mulls plan for Snowmass Center redevelopment, fourth continued public hearing set
- Snowmass Chapel, Aspen Science Center, Aspen Journalism enter Base Village Building 6 mix
- Snowmass history: Ski trail name game
- Sidelined for another season
- Marolt: Like it or not, I am not a loyal Facebook friend
- Cops stanch Aspen’s weekend cocaine flow
- Homeowner near Aspen takes Starwood HOA to court over $900k in fines
- Developers walk away from lodge approval in Aspen’s West End
- City of Aspen preparing for upheaval of pedestrian malls
- Man arrested on theft charge for allegedly taking wine bottles from Aspen restaurant