Snowmass Village building emptied over gas scare |

Snowmass Village building emptied over gas scare

Jill Beathard
Snowmass Sun
Aspen, CO, Colorado

SNOWMASS VILLAGE – The Timbermill Building on the Snowmass Village Mall was evacuated for about two hours on Thursday because of high levels of carbon monoxide throughout the building, officials said.

A construction worker was operating a propane-fueled forklift in the lower part of the building, and people inside began feeling symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The Snowmass-Wildcat Fire Protection District responded to the scene at 11:01 a.m. and discovered high levels of the gas throughout the building, particularly in Venga Venga, the Aspen Skiing Co. locker room and various hallways, Deputy Chief John Mele said.

No one was hospitalized. District personnel met with about 30 evacuees, who were monitored for about an hour to 90 minutes. Those who were in the immediate vicinity of the machinery were treated with oxygen, Mele said.

Aspen Sports and the Skico ticket pavilion inside the building also were evacuated. The Snowmass Clinic was not evacuated because personnel did not find high levels of the gas there, but a staff member stayed in that portion of the building to monitor it, Mele said.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


State issues Vail Resorts a notice of violation for 2021 fish kill

Vail Resorts has received notice of violation and a cease and desist order in the wake of a spill, which qualifies as a “discharge of pollutants,” last year from part of the Vail Mountain snowmaking system that ultimately resulted in a fish kill in Gore Creek.

See more