Snowmass couple claims negligence led to carbon monoxide poisoning | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Snowmass couple claims negligence led to carbon monoxide poisoning

Rick CarrollThe Aspen TimesAspen, CO Colorado

SNOWMASS VILLAGE – A part-time Snowmass Village couple claims they were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning because of a local firm’s negligence.Stanley and Dareleanor Wood filed suit in Pitkin County District Court against Climate Control Co. of Glenwood Springs, accusing the firm of breach of contract, negligence and violation of the Colorado Consumer Protection Act, along with other civil claims.The manager of Climate Control Co. would not comment for this story.According to the complaint, the Wood couple, who owns a residence and caretaker unit at Horse Ranch Road in Snowmass, contracted with Climate Control to install an air conditioning system at their property in July 2007. The company also replaced the home furnace’s carbon monoxide exhaust pipe the following December. Later that month, on Dec. 30, the couple, who lived full-time in California at the time, stayed at the caretaker unit. That evening, Dareleanor Wood fell ill and collapsed, and was unconscious for about 90 seconds, the suit says.Some 30 minutes later, the husband called 911, and an ambulance picked her up for transport to Aspen Valley Hospital. As the husband followed behind the ambulance in his vehicle, he fell ill and veered off the road, the suit says.Stanley Wood was then placed in the ambulance and rushed to the hospital along with his wife. Hours later they both tested positive for carbon monoxide poisoning.Meanwhile, police went to the property to rescue the Woods’ dog, and the fire department found the carbon monoxide level to be “dangerously high” at 180 parts per million (ppm), the suit says.Climate Control inspected the property the next day and told the Woods that the furnace had been leaking carbon monoxide. The company, the suit says, told the couple it was safe to return, but the Woods stayed elsewhere, the suit says.On Jan. 2, the Snowmass fire department checked the levels again, which were found at 130 ppm, also “dangerously high,” the suit says.Because of the CO poisoning, Dareleanor Wood suffers from permanent brain damage and sleep problems, among other ailments, the suit says. The husband experiences memory and attention/concentration problems, the suit alleges.The complaint seeks unspecified monetary damages and a jury trial. It was filed by the law firm Holland & Hart LLP.The suit comes more than a year after a Denver family of four died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a house they rented 4 miles east of Aspen on Thanksgiving weekend 2008. Parker Lofgren, 39; his wife, Caroline, 42; and their children, Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8, were found in the bedrooms of the home.Their deaths led the Colorado Legislature to pass a law last year that will require most homes in the state to be fitted with carbon monoxide detectors. Homes and apartments offered for sale or transfer after July 1, 2009, have to be equipped with detectors near bedrooms. The detectors will also have to be put in homes and apartments that are renovated or enlarged or after July 1.rcarroll@aspentimes.com


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User