Snowmass advances CO detector law |

Snowmass advances CO detector law

Katie Redding
The Aspen Times
Aspen, CO Colorado

SNOWMASS VILLAGE ” The Snowmass Town Council passed an ordinance on first reading Monday night that would require residents to install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

Per the ordinance, the detectors must be on each floor and audible in all sleeping quarters.

If the room contains a fuel-burning appliance, like a gas stove or oven, the carbon monoxide detector must be in the room.

Homes heated without the use of any fuel (such as homes with electric baseboard heat) would be exempt. So would homes that do not have an attached garage, where carbon monoxide can be created when a car is left to warm up in the enclosed space.

Council pointed to a recent local tragedy as the catalyst for the new ordinance. All four members of the Lofgren family, of Denver, died from carbon monoxide poisoning during a Thanksgiving stay in an Aspen-area home. The residence did not have a carbon monoxide detector.

Kittle said the building department will try to monitor compliance by asking residents to contact the building department upon installation.

A similar ordinance went into effect on Monday in Aspen and unincorporated Pitkin County.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more