Small fire breaks out along highway near Basalt |

Small fire breaks out along highway near Basalt

BASALT – A small fire broke out in the dry grass along Highway 82 outside of Basalt on Friday morning and was extinguished by passing motorists and residents of a nearby house.

The fire was reported about 11:30 a.m. at mile marker 22 on Highway 82, near the ranch home of the Tina Grange family. Basalt fire officer Bob Guion said the fire burned a small patch of grass before it was extinguished by fast-acting onlookers. Members of the Grange family shoveled dirt onto the flames, and passing motorists assisted, Guion said.

“It could have grown pretty rapidly,” he said. The fire department responded and sprayed the area down to make sure no sparks or embers strayed.

The fire likely was caused by a discarded cigarette butt, Guion said. It could have come from a motorist on the highway or from a delivery vehicle that went to the Grange ranch Friday morning, he said. The fire was up against an elk fence, near where the Granges stacked some straw bales that were available for sale. The fire would have been tougher to extinguish if the straw had caught fire, Guion said.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more