Skico: Cigarette butt likely cause of fire on Aspen Mountain | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Skico: Cigarette butt likely cause of fire on Aspen Mountain

Staff report
Flowers on Aspen Mountain.
Austin Colbert/The Aspen Times

A small fire that started on the Ridge of Bell on Aspen Mountain was “quickly extinguished” on July 9, according to an Aspen Skiing Co. press release. 

The source of the fire was “potentially from a cigarette butt that was thrown from the gondola,” the release states. 

“Aspen Patrol summer rangers responded to reports of smoke and the fire was quickly extinguished,” according to the release. “The White River National Forest Service was also notified.” 



Skico emphasized the importance of fire safety in the release. Wildfires remain a “real and present threat” to the land, even with the recent and forecasted precipitation in the region.

“Locals and guests alike are encouraged to smoke away from flammable terrain and always dispose of cigarettes in fire safe containers, and ensure that any open flame is fully extinguished,” the release states. “Nothing should ever be thrown out of the gondola windows.”

More Like This, Tap A Topic
home-featured
Local


See more

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.