Sales tax distribution set | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Sales tax distribution set

Pitkin County commissioners on Wednesday officially set the 2016 distribution rates for the county’s 2 percent sales tax revenue.

Under a law adopted in 1978, the county perennially receives 43 percent of the total, while the remaining 57 percent is distributed among Basalt, Snowmass Village and the city of Aspen. The percentages each municipality in the county receives are adjusted annually based on the amount of sales tax collected in each city.

This year, Aspen will receive 44 percent of the total, or 0.6 percent more than last year, while Snowmass Village’s cut goes down 1 percent to about 11 percent of the total, and Basalt’s share decreases 5.4 percent to about 2 percent of the total.



The sales tax is projected to bring in nearly $20 million in 2016, according to county estimates. That means the county will receive about $8.5 million, Aspen will get nearly $8.7 million, Snowmass Village will receive about $2.2 million and Basalt gets about $465,000, according to the estimates.

The tax generated $18.1 million in 2014 and about $16.1 million between January and October 2015, according to the estimates.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News

WineInk: January Dreams

|

Perhaps it’s because we are in the abbreviated days of winter and I instinctively know that the sun is shining down-under. But every January I go through a nostalgic period where Australian wine dominates my mind.



See more