Rifle airport to revamp runway | AspenTimes.com

Rifle airport to revamp runway

RIFLE – U.S. Rep. John Salazar announced Wednesday that the Garfield County Airport will receive a federal grant of $1.5 million to begin renovations of the runway.”We’re going to see more and more traffic due to the current oil and gas situation in Garfield County,” said Salazar, a Democrat from Colorado’s 3rd District. “This will make the airport safer for the increasing air traffic on the Western Slope.” The Federal Aviation Administration approved the grant after Congress passed a bill on June 14. The bill grants the appropriation of funds to allow the airport to begin an environmental assessment determining the best course of action for construction. The bill is still pending in the senate. With the passage of the bill, the FAA will fund 95 percent of the $22 million project and the Colorado Department of Transportation is expected to match Garfield County’s portion to make up the remaining 5 percent.Renovations for the airport include realignment and leveling of the runway to allow for safer takeoff and landing accommodations, and development of a pilot program for a radar system that the facility currently lacks is under consideration as well.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User