Carbondale man jailed on child sexual assault charges
CARBONDALE, Colorado — A 53-year-old Carbondale man was arrested on Tuesday and charged with sexual assault on children, the Carbondale Police Department reported.
Carbondale police are seeking information from the public about any other possible victims, beyond the ones authorities know about.
The man, Gustavo Flores Rosario, was taken to the Garfield County Jail, where he will remain because he is facing possible deportation by the U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE), known as an “ICE hold.”
According to Police Chief Gene Schilling, Rosario also is being held in lieu of $7,500 bond.
Schilling said Rosario also is known as Arturo Sanchez, Arturo Flores and Gustavo Flores Ramirez.
According to Schilling, the investigation that led to Rosario’s arrest began about a month ago, when an 18-year-old woman reported to police that she had been sexually assaulted by Rosario “several years ago.”
The 18-year-old, whose name has not been released, also reported at the time that she was “concerned that a 13-year-old had been sexually assaulted by the same person,” according to a statement issued by the police.
The statement did not indicate when the alleged assault on the 13-year-old took place.
Sexual assault on a child is a class four felony, carrying a presumptive penalty of up to six years in prison, or 12 years if “exceptional circumstances” are proved.
Schilling said police believe there may be other victims of sexual assault by Rosario, and are asking “anyone who themselves or their child may have been a victim of Flores Rosario to contact Officer Michael Zimmerman or Officer Nino Santiago (Spanish speaking) at the Carbondale Police Department, at 970-963-2662.”
Schilling said the alleged assaults took place in Carbondale.
He said the 18-year-old and the 13-year-old are not related, but are friends with each other.
He said Rosario has a police record, but not for sexual assault charges.
Schilling said he was not certain where Rosario is from originally, or how long he has been in the U.S.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The parents of the 6 year old killed at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park while riding the Haunted Mine Drop earlier this year filed a wrongful death civil action lawsuit seeking “economic and non-economic” damages.