Basalt firefighters put out house fire in Missouri Heights
December 8, 2015
Basalt firefighters put out a house fire in Missouri Heights Monday night after the homeowners returned from work at about 6:15 p.m. and found smoke escaping from the eaves.
Basalt Fire Chief Scott Thompson said the fire was a product of a construction project. Workers were refinishing floors in the home in Red Table Acres. "We found it in the living room area," he said.
It's possible that refinishing materials at the scene ignited the fire, according to Thompson. He estimated the loss at $10,000.
The residents were living in a basement while the work was performed and they will be able to continue living there, Thompson said. The house suffered smoke damage after the fire apparently got into the walls.
Basalt Fire Department responded with 22 firefighters, including paid personnel and volunteers, plus two fire engineers, one ladder truck and one ambulance. No one was injured. Firefighters were on the scene for about one hour.
Trending In: Regional
- Lake Christine Fire case sent to District Court; suspects Miller, Marcus due back Jan. 23
- Eagle County leads statewide mental health funding trend
- Volunteers wanted for largest ski competition in Utah since Olympics
- Person ID’d in fatal crash near New Castle as Basalt resident
- Colorado’s most expensive toll lane, the I-70 Mountain Express Lane, to open
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director