Pueblo explosion caused by natural gas buildup | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Pueblo explosion caused by natural gas buildup

The Associated Press
Aspen, CO Colorado

PUEBLO, Colo. ” Investigators have determined that a natural gas leak from a pipeline under the street led to a deadly explosion that leveled a restaurant and a neighboring store.

Pueblo fire department spokesman Woody Percival says the gas “took the path of least resistance” and passed through the soil, building up in the Branch Inn’s basement.

Restaurant staff smelled an odor but assumed it was sewer gas. Percival said Thursday the chemical additive that gives natural gas a rotten egg smell was likely filtered or altered, making the odor unrecognizable when it got to the basement and ignited.

Twenty-two-year-old Ashley R. Johnson was killed and seven people were injured in the Nov. 13 blast. A Classic Boutique was also destroyed.


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User