Police seek suspect after court no-show | AspenTimes.com

Police seek suspect after court no-show

John Colson
Aspen, CO Colorado

ASPEN ” A local man charged with breaking into two homes and assaulting several people last June ” who was expected to plead guilty in court on Dec. 14 ” now is wanted by police for failing to appear at the hearing.

Kevin A. Gibson, 39, who was free on bond, was supposed to appear before Ninth Judicial District Judge James Boyd at 3:30 p.m. Friday at the Pitkin County Courthouse in Aspen, regarding a plea bargain offered by District Attorney Gail Nichols.

Gibson is being tried in two cases, one concerning an incident on June 9, when he allegedly broke into two homes in the North Forty neighborhood just west of Aspen and assaulted several people.

The second case stems from an alleged bond violation. Gibson is accused of having contacted a protected witness in the original case.

Shortly after 4 p.m. on Dec. 14, after waiting half an hour, Judge Boyd ruled that Gibson had forfeited his bond in the existing cases, amounting to a total of $6,000 according to jail records.

Boyd also issued two warrants for Gibson’s arrest, one in each case, and imposed new bonds of $10,000 in each case, for a total of $20,000.

Neither Nichols nor defense attorney Lauren Maytin would disclose the particulars of the plea bargain offered to Gibson.

According to police, Gibson broke into the homes of Caroline Pittman and Ted King, who both live on Narrow Way in the North Forty subdivision. He allegedly broke into Pittman’s home first and, police say, got into a fight with two unidentified males and one unidentified female in the home.

Pittman reportedly fled next door to King’s home to hide, and Gibson allegedly followed her, broke in King’s door and fought with both Pittman and King. A neighbor reportedly called for help, which brought Pitkin County deputy sheriffs to the scene.

Maytin tried to talk Nichols and the judge into holding off on the warrants until Monday, Dec. 17, when Gibson could explain to the judge why he missed the Friday court date. She noted that it was snowing outside and said that the weather might have caused Gibson to be late.

Nichols rejected the suggestion, however, arguing that Gibson knew the time and date of the hearing and should have been there, regardless of the weather.

Boyd said he would listen to whatever Gibson has to say if he shows up on Dec. 17, but went ahead and issued the warrants.

At one point Gibson was facing nine counts, which carried a potential sentence of 30 years in prison if he were convicted on all counts and given consecutive terms.

But Nichols cut that to five counts in late June, with the potential of 17 years in prison, although that was before she added the bond violation to the list of charges.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.