Police: Heroin spat leads to arrest | AspenTimes.com

Police: Heroin spat leads to arrest

Jason Auslander
The Aspen Times

Police arrested a 39-year-old Aspen man early Christmas morning after he hit his wife in the mouth during a fight that started over heroin, court documents allege.

Officers were called to apartments in the 100 block of East Durant Avenue about 6:45 a.m. after Kent Muer’s wife called 911, said she’d been assaulted and that Muer was in the bathroom shooting up heroin, according to an affidavit filed in district court.

The woman told police she and Muer were married in Las Vegas in October after knowing each other for two days, the affidavit by Aspen Police Officer Ian MacAyeal states. She said she moved to Aspen with Muer after the wedding, and that she and Muer had been partying and doing drugs during the last month, according to the affidavit.

Muer is a “serious drug user” of heroin, cocaine, ecstasy and other drugs, the woman told police. He is also “extremely jealous,” belittles her about past boyfriends and accused her of going to see another man when she drove to Glenwood Springs to go Christmas shopping on Dec. 23, the affidavit states.

“Muer had been using an inordinate amount of heroin the last few days and had been running out,” the affidavit states. “This caused him to be angry and frustrated and they fought frequently the last few days.”

Muer spends $100 a day on heroin, she said.

The woman said she went to sleep on the couch about 6 p.m. Christmas Eve and woke up Christmas morning about 6 a.m. to find Muer shooting up heroin. She asked Muer for some of the drug, but he was running low and “freaked out again,” the affidavit states. Muer began calling the woman names and accusing her of being unfaithful.

The woman then decided she was going to leave Muer, and called a male friend in Las Vegas using the “Facetime” app, according to the affidavit.

“He wrapped his arms around her from behind to prevent her from using her laptop,” the affidavit states. “When he did this, he ended up hitting her in the mouth with a closed fist.

“When Muer saw she was bleeding, he disengaged and went to the bathroom with a syringe and some heroin.”

Officers searched Muer’s apartment and found 0.3 grams of heroin, 1 gram of powdered amphetamine, three amphetamine pills and small baggie of ecstasy powder, according to the affidavit.

Muer was charged with four counts of felony drug possession, assault, domestic violence and possession of drug paraphernalia. Prosecutor Andrea Bryan said Muer has an extensive criminal history, mainly having to do with drugs.

On Monday, Pitkin County Judge Erin Fernandez-Ely ordered him held on a $10,000 cash-only bond, saying his arrest paints a “bleak picture” of his current circumstances.

Muer told the judge he’s had ties to Aspen all his life and he’s been sober for the last three and a half years. However, he said he had a relapse a month ago.

Muer’s wife told police that he’s a “trust-funder” who receives $30,000 a month and does not work. Muer, however, said he works for a local snowmobile company.

Muer was sent to a 90-day drug rehab center in Idaho in February 2012 after being charged with felony possession of marijuana, malicious injury to property, misdemeanor domestic battery and DUI, according to a Feb. 29, 2012 article in the Idaho Mountain Express. At the time, his lawyer told the judge that Muer’s troubled life started when his parents disappeared at sea without a trace in 1993.

“A lot of this probably stems from the loss of my parents when I was 15 years old,” Muer told the judge at the time, according to the Mountain Express. “My life was turned upside down.

“If drugs and alcohol weren’t in my life, I’d be a completely different person.”

Muer’s father, Charles Muer, was president of a company that owned more than 20 seafood restaurants in Florida, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C., according to newspaper reports. In March 1993, Charles Muer, his wife and a close friend and his wife were sailing from the Bahamas to Jupiter, Florida on his 40-foot boat, “Charley’s Crab,” when a massive winter storm blew in packing winds up 80 mph, the reports state.

No sign of the four passengers or the boat was ever found despite a week-long search, according to newspaper articles at the time.