Plenty of choices to ring in New Year in Aspen
December 30, 2009
ASPEN – If your New Year’s Eve plans remain up in the air, there are still activities, opportunities and parties to be had in price ranges that are true reflections of Aspen: over the top and free.
Perhaps the largest gathering Thursday evening is open to the public and courtesy of the city of Aspen. Fireworks over Aspen Mountain will be displayed at 8 p.m. and again at midnight.
The free events kick off at 5 p.m. at Wagner Park, where there will be family activities such as a snowman-making contest, sleigh rides and a bouncy house. There also will be a DJ and a bonfire throughout the night at the park.
Across the street at the Silver Circle Ice Rink, there will be free ice skating from 5-8 p.m.
If you don’t have your $265 ticket to the sold-out Jane’s Addiction show at the Belly Up Aspen, tunes can be heard at other bars and restaurants. DJs and bands will be playing music throughout the valley to ring in the new year.
The Hotel Jerome is having a “Good Riddance to 2009” dinner from 6-9 p.m. At the Wheeler Opera House, Celtic singer and former member of The Irish Tenor, Ronan Tynan, will perform from 8-10 p.m. Tickets are $60 and $50 for reserved seating. Call 920-5770 or log onto http://www.aspenshowtickets.com for more information.
Recommended Stories For You
Here is a rundown of other highlighted events happening this evening throughout the Roaring Fork Valley:
• The Mustang, 415 E. Hyman Ave., Aspen: Featuring Boogie Nights from Boogie’s Buddy Bash. A $50 cover, a la carte dining and all-night dancing. Starts at 6:30 p.m. 920-0066
• Aspen Film Academy screening: Harris Concert Hall, 960 N. Third St., Aspen, adjacent to Benedict Music Tent. A portrayal of Charles Darwin as he prepares to publish his revolutionary ideas. Tickets are $12, available in advance at the Wheeler Opera House or at the door an hour before the screening, if any remain. In the event of a sellout, a wait list begins 30 minutes before showtime. The film runs from 5:30-7:18 p.m. 920-5770 http://www.aspenfilm.org
• The Black Nugget, downtown Carbondale: Bring in the new year with some live music from Happy Ashtray. Classic rock, soul and blues. Starts at 9 p.m. 945-1206 http://www.happyashtray.com
• Riverside Grill, 181 Basalt Center Circle, Basalt: Celebrate the coming of 2010 with a disco party, including a DJ, party favors and a free champagne toast at midnight. Starts at 9 p.m. 927-9301
• The Artisan Restaurant at the Stonebridge Inn, 300 Carriage Way, Snowmass Village: New Year’s Eve celebration with live music by The Damian Smith Trio. Starts at 9 p.m. 923-2427 http://www.stonebridgeinn.com
• Phat Thai Restaurant and Lounge, 343 Main St., Carbondale: DJ Gabriel spins; costumes highly encouraged. $5 cover; open to those 21 and older with valid identification. Starts at 10 p.m. 963-7001 http://www.phatthai.com
• Bad Billy’s, 508 E. Cooper Ave., Aspen: Featuring music from local band The Butchers. $15 cover. Music starts at 10 p.m. 925-9225
• 2010 gala at the Regal Watering Hole, 220 South Galena St., Aspen: Usher in the new year with DJ Danimal, who will be throwing down hip and rock mash ups all night. Open bar all night, including all wells and calls (Jack Daniels, Stoli, Bacardi, etc.), as well as all beers, house wines and house bubbly. Champagne toast at midnight. Half price on all premium cocktails and all shots. ($5 Grey Goose, $5 Patron shots). Noise makers, hats and party favors. Starts at 8 p.m. $125
(720) 275-3876 http://www.regalaspen.com
• Eric’s Bar/Su Casa/Aspen Billards/Cigar Bar, 315 E. Hyman Ave., Aspen: DJ at Eric’s and Cigar Bar. Full access to all four bars, with champagne toast at midnight. $50 and $60. Tickets are sold out but there is a waiting list. Call 920-1488 for details.
• Fly Lounge, 426 E. Hyman Ave., Aspen: DJ Serious and dancing all night. $50. Complimentary glass of champagne and coat check. 925-9813
• Sky Hotel, 39 Degrees, 709 E. Durant Ave.: There is a private party being held and organized through a third party. Open bar, appetizers, DJ and dancing all night long. $250. 925-6760. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to make reservations.