Pheasant chicks killed when fire starts in coop in Fryingpan Valley | AspenTimes.com

Pheasant chicks killed when fire starts in coop in Fryingpan Valley

Staff report
A fire that started in this shed created heavy smoke that killed "many" pheasant chicks, according to the fire department. The fire was about 6 miles up Fryingpan Road.
Roaring Fork Fire Rescue

Numerous pheasant chicks died Monday morning when a fire started in a shed that was being used for a coop in Fryingpan Valley, according to Roaring Fork Fire Rescue.

The fire department was called to a structure fire at 309 Taylor Creek Road at 6:36 a.m. Monday. The site was about 6 miles east of Basalt.

“First arriving crews reported heavy smoke from an outbuilding, and crews made entry and were able to extinguish the fire in short order,” said a statement from the fire department. “Damage was confined to the area of origin. The building was immediately adjacent to a steep oak brush hillside. Due to the quick actions of firefighters the fire did not ignite the vegetation.”

There were no human injuries.

Investigators suspect a heating device in the coop malfunctioned and started the fire. It was deemed accidental and not suspicious. Damage was estimated at $5,000.

“Unfortunately, there were many pheasant chicks in the building that did not survive the fire,” the statement said.

Roaring Fork Fire Rescue responded with two command vehicles, two engines and a water tender. Eight firefighters responded.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.