On The Hill: White gold blankets Aspen
VIDEO: A huge Christmas week storm pounded Aspen overnight, leaving a foot of fresh, heavy snow to plunder. Aspen Times mountain correspondent Corby Anderson and the “braintrust” of the Aspen Times take a sticky run down Seibert’s on Aspen Mountain as the winds whip and the fog thickens.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/115193924?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 11″ in the past 24 hours, 13″ in 48 hours and 31″ in the last 7 days. High of 27°, low of 11°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: The snow is super heavy, moisture-intensive snow. Definitely a wide powder ski type day to get on top and float, as trying to turn in the “powder” is an exercise in futility! It’s cold and windy up top, with storm clouds engulfing the mountain.
LIFT LINE STATUS: The Silver Queen Gondola was a madhouse before 10 am, but seems to be thinning out in the late morning.
LISTENING TO: Natural Disasters “Steep N’ Deep”.
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: Snow. High near 27. Windy, with a northwest wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
- Tonight: Snow, mainly before 3am. Low around 12. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Tuesday: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 20. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 3. Wind chill values as low as -10. Northwest wind around 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 33. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the morning.
- Wednesday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow after midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 18.
- Christmas Day: A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34.
- Thursday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14.
- Friday: A slight chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 23.
- Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 5.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 24.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 12.
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 30.
AN AVALANCHE WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED:
AVALANCHE WARNING ISSUED FOR THE STEAMBOAT AND FLAT TOPS AREA OF NORTHERN COLORADO...WARNING EXTENDED TO COVER THE FRONT RANGE, TENMILE, GORE, ELK, WEST ELK, SAWATCH RANGES AND GRAND MESA ON MONDAY... STRONG WINDS, SIGNIFICANT SNOW, AND A VERY WEAK OLD SNOWPACK HAVE CONSPIRED TO BUILD DANGEROUS AVALANCHE CONDITIONS ACROSS NORTHERN AND CENTRAL COLORADO FOR MONDAY. SIGNIFICANT NEW SNOW WITH VERY STRONG WESTERLY WINDS HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO DANGEROUS AVALANCHE CONDITIONS ACROSS THE COLORADO BACKCOUNTRY.
A WINTER STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT:
WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT MST TONIGHT... * TIMING...PERIODS OF SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THIS EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED TO FALL THIS MORNING. * SNOW ACCUMULATION...18 TO 24 INCHES. * WINDS...NORTHWEST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 65 MPH. * IMPACTS...ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL RESULT IN ICY AND SNOW PACKED ROADS AND HIGHWAYS ESPECIALLY OVER MOUNTAIN SUMMITS. THE COMBINATION OF SNOW...BLOWING SNOW AND FOG WILL LIMIT VISIBILITY BELOW 1 MILE WITH NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.