On The Hill: Waiting for new snow to fall? Take some hot laps in an ice kart
January 18, 2015
VIDEO: If you are looking for something EXTREMELY fun to do while waiting for new snow to fall, check out Aspen Ice Karting, a one-of-a-kind go-cart racing operation on Kodiak water ski lake in El Jebel. The karts run on specially studded snow tires, which allow for hugging corners on a beautifully designed course at high speeds, and even a little drifting action.
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 0″ in the past 24 hours, 0″ in 48 hours and 4″ in the last 7 days. High of 37°, low of 19°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: The ice on Kodiak water ski lake in El Jebel is in ideal “thick and slick” ice kart racing shape! Of all of the adventurous things that one could do other than skiing on the local mountains, ice karting may be the funnest 10 or 20 minutes around! Be sure to make your plans ahead of time at http://www.aspenicekarting.com with this brand new, locally owned, ski-bum devised sport as it is a reservation-only business.
Up on the mountain, hardpack conditions exist on and off the groomed trails, with soft snow chasing the sun. The sun is out and things are nice and warm up on the hill, with excellent visibility.
Recommended Stories For You
LIFT LINE STATUS: Not too bad today at the Silver Queen gondy. About a 2 minute wait as of 10am.
LISTENING TO: Cake “Going the Distance”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 37. West wind around 5 mph.
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
- M.L.King Day: A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly between 9am and 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. South wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 31. West wind around 5 mph.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 30.
AspenWeather.net, a reliable local forecaster, is predicting that a dry period persists in the Aspen area through the end of the month.
Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Trending In: On The Hill
- Copper pond-skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- Aspen High students march to protest gun violence on National Walkout Day
- Winter storm warning issued for Elk, Gore mountains; heavy snow expected
- Aspen to get marijuana shops from Front Range, Western Slope competing in Durant Mall
- Pitkin County deputies, dispatchers gaining ‘mindfulness’