On The Hill: Snow deep, powder light on Aspen Mountain
VIDEO: Fresh snow is the gift that keeps on giving, as another 4-6″ of fresh, dry Aspen powder fell overnight. Aspen Times mountain correspondent Corby Anderson floats through a nearly untracked Northstar in today’s video.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/115437857?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 6″ in the past 24 hours, 6″ in 48 hours and 28″ in the last 7 days. High of 19°, low of 3°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: After a solid week of pretty moist new snow, last night Santa delivered an Aspen special: a half foot of dry champagne powder to float on. With little wind to blow it around, we finally got that beautiful even coverage for the falling snow to settle in all across Aspen Mountain.
Even with holiday craziness in full swing, the mountain is still not too crowded. Visibility is going to change throughout the day as the storm continues to pound us. It’s cold, with temps down near zero, so bundle up!
Participate in The Longevity Project
The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.
LIFT LINE STATUS: Step right up!
LISTENING TO: The Sheets “Gary Douglas”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: Snow. High near 21. South southeast wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Tonight: Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -6. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind around 5 mph becoming south southeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
- Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 18. Wind chill values as low as -20. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the morning.
- Saturday NightMostly cloudy, with a low around -6. Wind chill values as low as -20. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
- Sunday: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 22. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Sunday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7.
- Monday: A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 21.
A WINTER STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT:
WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT MST TONIGHT... * TIMING...SNOWFALL WILL CONTINUE INTERMITTENTLY THROUGH THIS EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR THIS AFTERNOON. * ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION...1 TO 4 INCHES. * SNOW LEVEL...HEAVIEST SNOW ABOVE 9000 FEET. * WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. * IMPACTS...HOLIDAY TRAVEL WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED ESPECIALLY OVER THE COLORADO HIGH COUNTRY. ROADS ARE SNOWPACKED AND ICY WITH VISIBILITY REDUCED IN FOG AND SNOWFALL. BE PREPARED FOR TREACHEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User