On The Hill: Sneak away for some spring skiing at Powderhorn, a true Colorado skiing gem
VIDEO: Just a hop and a skip away from the Roaring Fork Valley is one of Colorado’s real skiing gems, Powderhorn Ski Area. Situated on the rim of the Grand Mesa, Powderhorn has a real mom-and-pop feel, with prices that match the vibe. Aspen Times mountain correspondent Corby Anderson takes some spring-like turns down the face of the Mesa with a grateful crew of Carolina boys.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/121635536?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 0″ in the past 24 hours, 0″ in 48 hours and 27″ in the last 7 days. High of 48°, low of 17°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: This was a fantastic, warm weekend all across Colorado, but especially so up on the Grand Mesa, where a jacket felt not only unnecessary, but uncomfortable! The skiing at Powderhorn was fast and soft, with plenty of coverage. They reportedly got 33′ in 48 hours last week, and it shows. Tickets are affordable, and lift lines are minimal. Super cool experience!
LIFT LINE STATUS: Not too bad! Maybe a two minute wait on the two main Powderhorn lifts.
LISTENING TO: Sturgill Simpson “Living the Dream”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. Southeast wind around 5 mph.
- Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 47. South wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 50. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon.
- Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 53.
- Wednesday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 24.
- Thursday: A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.
- Friday: A slight chance of rain and snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 48.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User