On The Hill: Skis and feathers fly at the Aspen Gay Ski Week "Drag Race"
VIDEO: Aspen is fortunate to host some of the biggest, funnest events on snow over the course of the winter, but it is pretty hard to top Gay Ski Week’s “Drag Race” for sheer spectacle and hilarity. Aspen Times mountain sports correspondent Corby Anderson files this report from Aspen’s Gondola Plaza, where MC Miss Richfield 1981 is holding court.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/117049827?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 0″ in the past 24 hours, 0″ in 48 hours and 4″ in the last 7 days. High of 36°, low of 12°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: Aspen Mountain is starting to show the effects of the recent dry spell. The snow is bordering on hard pack on the groomed slopes. If you stay in the sunny spots, things soften up nicely around 11. Lift 1A should be opening sometime this weekend according to reports.
LIFT LINE STATUS: About a five minute wait at the Silver Queen Gondy.
LISTENING TO: John Vanderslice “Time Travel is Lonely”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 35. West southwest wind around 5 mph.
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 11. South southwest wind around 5 mph.
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 37. West northwest wind around 5 mph.
- M.L.King Day: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 31.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.