On The Hill: Powder stashes abound on Aspen Mountain
December 29, 2014
VIDEO: The powder keeps dropping on the Aspen Snowmass area, and the skiing could not be better. Our intrepid pow scout Corby Anderson skis Aspen Mountain and finds that another 3″ inches has fallen overnight, with more coming down by the second, leaving powder stashes every where you look.
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 3″ in the past 24 hours, 3″ in 48 hours and 18″ in the last 7 days. High of 18°, low of -9°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: How lucky are we!? It has now snowed 14 of the past 16 days, with another 3″ overnight and possibly 6″ or more today, by liberal measures. Skiing the fringes of Bellisimo yielded easily two feet of dry light powder underfoot. The stashes on Bell Mountain are bomber as well. It wasn’t noticibly freezling this morning, but reports are for sub-zero temps today, so go with an extra layer, facemask and your warmest gloves today, as well as goggles that can handle flat light in the falling snow.
LIFT LINE STATUS: Several deep.
Recommended Stories For You
LISTENING TO: Major Lazer “Pon de Floor”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: High near 18. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Tonight: Snow likely, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -9. Wind chill values as low as -20. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
- Tuesday: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 17. Wind chill values as low as -25. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Tuesday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -1. Wind chill values as low as -10. South southeast wind around 5 mph.
- Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 26. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
- Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 8.
- New Year’s Day: A 20 percent chance of snow after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 30.
- Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10.
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MST THIS EVENING…
* TIMING...PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY. * SNOW ACCUMULATION...6 TO 12 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. * WINDS...WEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. * IMPACTS...ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL IMPACT TRAVEL ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW LATE TODAY AND TONIGHT WILL REDUCE VISIBILITY AT TIMES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.
Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Trending In: On The Hill
- Area high school students survive car crash into Maroon Creek
- Pay hike helps Aspen Skiing Co. fill entry-level positions
- Aspen’s affordable housing authority looks at increasing user fees
- Vail employee allegedly slept with child prostitute in Glenwood Springs
- What’s the Big Deal: Red Mountain property fetches $14.675 million