On The Hill: New snow and an empty mountain make for a nice little Tuesday morning
VIDEO: Aspen and the Roaring Fork Valley awoke to a nice little pile of snow this morning, with 2″ being reported at Aspen and Snowmass. Aspen Times mountain correspondent Corby Anderson skis Buckhorn and North American on Aspen Mountain and finds the new snow to by light and fluffy.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/117298015?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 2″ in the past 24 hours, 2″ in 48 hours and 2″ in the last 7 days. High of 36°, low of 7°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: Aspen Mountain has been showing a thinning base as the result of the mini-drought that we have been under for several weeks, so this new snow will definitely help. It was nice and soft almost all of the way down the mountain, but beware of the Nell, where slick surfaces require real edges.
Visibility is variable as the storm moves through. It was snowing and cloudy up top, but bright and sunny down in town at the end of the run, with very little wind. It was cold though, so it might be a good day to consider a puffy underlayer.
LIFT LINE STATUS: Pick your own gondola
LISTENING TO: Taj Mahal “Lovin in my Baby’s Arms”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 33. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. South wind around 5 mph.
- Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 31. South southeast wind around 5 mph becoming north northwest in the afternoon.
- Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -1. North wind around 5 mph becoming east southeast after midnight.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 27. East southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
- Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 6.
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 33.
- Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 9.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 33.
- Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15.
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 36.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User