On The Hill: Mellow Monday skiing on Aspen Mountain, but strong winds expected later
VIDEO: After an exciting, busy holiday season, Aspen Mountain is settling back down into its typically unhurried pace. Aspem Times producer Corby Anderson takes a mellow run off the top of the mountain down Copper and finds the snow to be soft and sweet.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/115991366?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 0″ in the past 24 hours, 0″ in 48 hours and 7″ in the last 7 days. High of 34°, low of 12°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: The snow is nice and soft and pliable, probably because a recent warming trend. Copper skied beautifully, with carving opportunities all down the gulch and soft tree turns off on the edges. Temps are fairly warm as of 9:30am, but with significant winds expected today, it might be a good idea to bring extra layers.
LIFT LINE STATUS: No worries mate!
LISTENING TO: Steve Miller Band “Mercury Blues”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Tonight: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. West southwest wind around 10 mph.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 40. West southwest wind around 5 mph.
- Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming south southeast after midnight.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 41. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
- Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 18.
- Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 41.
- Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 19.
- Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 39. (*NOTE: Accuweather is predicting 4-8 inches on Friday in the 81601.)
PITKIN COUNTY HAS ISSUED A STRONG WIND ALERT:
High wind warning expect west winds 30-50 MPH with gusts up to 80 MPH until 11pm.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User