On The Hill: Hiking up Smuggler, a New Years Day tradition
VIDEO: Hiking above the old silver mine on Smuggler Mountain is a popular Aspen activity, and a New Years Day tradition for On The Hill producer Corby Anderson and his buddy Hondo.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/115760971?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 0″ in the past 24 hours, 1″ in 48 hours and 19″ in the last 7 days. High of 27°, low of 3°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: Every New Years Day, I take an early morning hike to stretch the legs and do some positive thinking about the year to come. It is a relaxing way to ease into a busy New Years Day schedule of skiing, football watching and dinner plans. Today’s hike was gorgeous — blue skies, relatively warm (considering the sub-zero temps of late), and plenty of fresh powder for the hound to dive into. GREAT way to start the year!
LIFT LINE STATUS: Smuggler Mountain had a few hikers, sledders, skinners, lost taxi drivers, and rambunctious mutts on the trail this morning. Expect ski lift lines to be a bit heavy today with the nice weather.
LISTENING TO: Doc Watson “Black Mountain Rag”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: Snow likely, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 23. East wind around 5 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Tonight: A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -7. Wind chill values as low as -15. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming east southeast after midnight.
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 24. Wind chill values as low as -15. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
- Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph after midnight.
- Saturday: Snow likely, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 25. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 27.
- Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 33.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.