On The Hill: Hiking up Smuggler, a New Years Day tradition
VIDEO: Hiking above the old silver mine on Smuggler Mountain is a popular Aspen activity, and a New Years Day tradition for On The Hill producer Corby Anderson and his buddy Hondo.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/115760971?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 0″ in the past 24 hours, 1″ in 48 hours and 19″ in the last 7 days. High of 27°, low of 3°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: Every New Years Day, I take an early morning hike to stretch the legs and do some positive thinking about the year to come. It is a relaxing way to ease into a busy New Years Day schedule of skiing, football watching and dinner plans. Today’s hike was gorgeous — blue skies, relatively warm (considering the sub-zero temps of late), and plenty of fresh powder for the hound to dive into. GREAT way to start the year!
LIFT LINE STATUS: Smuggler Mountain had a few hikers, sledders, skinners, lost taxi drivers, and rambunctious mutts on the trail this morning. Expect ski lift lines to be a bit heavy today with the nice weather.
LISTENING TO: Doc Watson “Black Mountain Rag”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: Snow likely, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 23. East wind around 5 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Tonight: A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -7. Wind chill values as low as -15. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming east southeast after midnight.
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 24. Wind chill values as low as -15. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
- Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph after midnight.
- Saturday: Snow likely, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 25. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 27.
- Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 33.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User