On The Hill: Frigid air, flat light, fresh snow on Aspen Mountain
VIDEO: Another wave of low pressure has settled into the area for a few days, delivering a smattering of snow overnight, with more falling this morning. Aspen Times mountain correspondent Corby Anderson skis a fresh. cold run down a nearly empty Silver Bell on Aspen Mountain and discovers that the light is flat, and the air is indeed thermally-challenged.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/115521214?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 0″ in the past 24 hours, 7″ in 48 hours and 26″ in the last 7 days. High of 21°, low of 9°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: This low pressure system just seems to want to hang around, which is fine by us! Low means snow! This morning was really cold, with lightly falling snow creating challenging light and variable visibility. The snow overnight is just a trace, but it is yet another super soft layer of champagne powder atop a bounty of new snow over the past few weeks. Skiing right now is as good as it typically gets in late January.
LIFT LINE STATUS: 9am, walk right up. That is likely to change as the day goes on.
LISTENING TO: Sturgill Simpson “Turtles All The Way Down”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 24. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Tonight: Snow, mainly after 8pm. Low around 2. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Monday: Snow likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 19. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Monday Night: Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around -9. Wind chill values as low as -20. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
- Tuesday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 18. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
- Tuesday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3.
- Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 27.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10.
- New Year’s Day: Partly sunny, with a high near 31
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
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User