On The Hill: Fresh powder turns on Aspen’s World Cup ski race course
VIDEO: This weekend’s storm delivered much needed powder on all four Aspen area ski mountains, up to a foot or more in some areas! The last time that Aspen Times mountain correspondent Corby Anderson skied Roch’s to Strawpile, it was a spooky slick World Cup GS course. Today he explores the run with a coat of powder atop the race ice.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/114575984″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
Monday, December 15, 2014
Aspen official report: 8″ of new snow overnight at Snowmass and Aspen (4″ at Highlands and Buttermilk, 14″ in the past 48 hours at Snowmass, 10″ elsewhere, and 10-14″ total new snow in the past week. Partly cloudy, high 32°, low 18°.
Aspen Times field report: After yesterday’s moisture-intensive powder dump, most of Aspen is walking funny as they go to work this Monday morning. The cold night lightened up the snow considerably, and new snow fell overnight. Reports of 8″ of new snow overnight on Aspen Mountain seem a bit dubious, but there are definitely several inches of fresh powder for the taking, and very few people on the “dark” side of Aspen Mountain vieing for your line. Visibility is mixed, but generally pretty good compared to Sunday’s fog banks.
Cruising down Spring Pitch to Strawpile for the first time since it was a World Cup race course, OTH host Corby Anderson finds it to be soft and powdery on top, but easy to punch through to the slick race ice below. Down on Strawpile, the run was fresh powder glory!
Liftline status: Shadow Mountain was desolate
- Today: A 20 percent chance of snow before 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 29. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southwest in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
- Tuesday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. South wind around 5 mph.
- Wednesday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Wednesday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.
- Thursday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33.
- Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14.
- Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 31.
- Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 9.
- Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 34.
- Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17.
- Sunday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.