On The Hill: Flurries and frigid air mark another fun Saturday on Aspen Mountain
VIDEO: Another storm wave is upon us, leaving Ajax shrouded in low clouds and frigid air. Aspen Times producer Corby Anderson skis Silver Bell to Spur and finds challenging, flat light and finger-numbing temps are at play, though the mountain is largely empty and the snow is nice and chalky.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/115862366?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 0″ in the past 24 hours, 3″ in 48 hours and 10″ in the last 7 days. High of 25°, low of 1°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: After a short 24 hour window of clear skies, more snow is falling in Aspen this morning. This one looks to be just a few inches, but the cold air of late remains and the low clouds are creating challenging light to ski in as squalls push through this morining. Once again, the crowds have decided to leave Ajax alone during a busy post-holiday weekend, leaving almost the entire mountain (sans some of the 1A-served terrain such as Aztec, which is still closed for repairs to the double chair) to spread out on.
LIFT LINE STATUS: About a minute wait.
LISTENING TO: Kai Welch, “Chains”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: Snow, mainly before 4pm. High near 27. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Tonight: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southwest after midnight.
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 28. Wind chill values as low as -10. West wind around 5 mph.
- Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 35. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 40.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40.
- Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 38.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User