On The Hill: Chilly morning turns on Aspen Mountain as another storm wave approaches
VIDEO: The monster storm that assailed Aspen over the past 48 hours left a thick, Sierra-like coat of a foot or two of fresh snow. Aspen Times mountain man Corby Anderson checks out Copper for a quick top to bottom morrning run and finds conditions to be a cold, with challenging light.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/115279755?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 3″ in the past 24 hours, 14″ in 48 hours and 32″ in the last 7 days. High of 21°, low of 0°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: Aspen Mountain is skiing very nicely after the incredible week of snow that we have had. The west side is still a wee bit thin, but anything east of Nell is bomber. The snow we got on Sunday/Monday was very moisture-intensive, so expect heavy, thick turns in the trees and off groomers. It was really cold – felt below zero to me at 9:15am, with pretty flat light and falling snow.
Much of the steep terrain on Aspen Mountain is open, and it appears from the grooming report that Highlands Bowl is open, though check with patrol as there was significant wind loading and avy danger is very high. Snowmass has about half of it’s double black terrain open today.
LIFT LINE STATUS: Breeze on through at the Silver Queen Gondola.
LISTENING TO: Grateful Dead – “Franklin’s Tower”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before 3pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 21. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around -1. Wind chill values as low as -15. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south southeast after midnight.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. South southeast wind around 5 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon.
- Wednesday NightA 20 percent chance of snow after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Christmas Day: Snow likely, mainly after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Thursday Night: Snow likely, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Friday: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 22.
- Friday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 5.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 23.
- Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.