On The Hill: Another shot of powder on Face of Bell
VIDEO: The Roaring Fork Valley was pasted with a blizzard for much of last night, but the expected accumulations didn’t quite match the ferocity of the storm. Aspen Times mountain correspondent Corby Anderson skied Face of Bell on Axaj this morning and discovered plenty of fresh, light, dry Aspen pow to play in.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/115653402?autoplay=1″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
ASPEN SKI COMPANY OFFICIAL REPORT: 3″ in the past 24 hours, 6″ in 48 hours and 19″ in the last 7 days. High of 18°, low of 0°.
ASPEN TIMES FIELD REPORT: It NUKED powder last night all up and down the valley, but interestingly, that new snow didn’t add up to the massive powder day that we hoped for today, with just an inch or two of fresh up top on Ajax. But COME ON, MAN! It has snowed 15 of the past 17 days, and the skiing is pretty impeccable just about every which way you point your sticks. It was indeed chilly today, with very flat light and changing lighting conditions as the unsettled air moves low lying clouds through rapidly.
LIFT LINE STATUS: You might have to wait for one, maybe two supermodels.
LISTENING TO: Mother Hips “This Dream”
SNOWCAST: NOAA.com is reporting:
- Today: A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16. South southeast wind around 5 mph.
- Tonight: A 20 percent chance of snow before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -10. Southeast wind around 5 mph.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 29. Wind chill values as low as -10. Southeast wind around 5 mph.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8. Southeast wind around 5 mph.
- New Year’s Day: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 28. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
- Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 5.
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 26.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 30.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 33.
- Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 35.
A HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS IN EFFECT:
LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE OFF AND ON THROUGHOUT THE DAY IN A BROAD BAND CENTERED ON THE I-70 CORRIDOR...THEN DECREASES LATER TONIGHT. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE FAIRLY LIGHT WITH AN ADDITIONAL 1 TO 3 INCHES EXPECTED OVER THE CENTRAL MOUNTAINS OF COLORADO. HOWEVER...SNOW CHANCES INCREASE AGAIN OVER SOUTHEAST UTAH LATER TONIGHT AS ANOTHER STORM APPROACHES THE AREA FROM THE WEST. .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY THE SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS AND FOUR CORNERS AREA FACE THE POTENTIAL OF SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY AS THE NEXT PACIFIC STORM PASSES SOUTH OF THE UTAH/COLORADO BORDER. ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 INCHES OR MORE ARE POSSIBLE FOR THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF SOUTHEAST UTAH AND SOUTHWEST COLORADO WITH 12 INCHES OR MORE POSSIBLE IN THE ABAJO AND SOUTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS. THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS MAY GET IN ON THE ACTION THIS WEEKEND AND EARLY NEXT WEEK AS FLOW SHIFTS TO THE NORTHWEST...THOUGH CHANCES HAVE BEEN REDUCED FROM EARLIER FORECASTS.
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User