On The Hill: A raucous, bluebird opening day at Aspen Mountain
VIDEO: Aspen Times mountain correspondent Corby Anderson delivers his daily video conditions report from Aspen Mountain.
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/112579090″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border: 0px;”]
CHANGE THE DATE
Aspen official report: 0″ of new snow overnight, 0″ in the past 48 hours, and 21″ in the past week. Beautiful blue skies, and relatively warm considering the cold front we’ve been under for what seems like weeks!
Aspen Times field report: Man it is so GREAT to be on the hill again! Other than the big lines and mad dash at first chair, things are pretty mellow this late morning at Aspen Mountain. Short gondy lines, and rambunctious but pretty evenly spaced traffic. It’s actually fairly warm – a shell and maybe a light puffy should be more than enough today. The snow is in really excellent condition for mid-November, with a nice firm packed powder vibe up top almost all the way down. Heads up at the Spar area as the snow is hard and fast in the shadows. Overall, it’s a great day to shake the rust off, kick the mice out of your ski boots, and enjoy the sublime thrill of sliding down a mountain once more! Tomorrow will be a different kind of stoke, so be sure to work your quads out today!
Liftline status: Hectic this morning, but just a five minute wait (if that) as of 9:45.
Snowcast: BIG storm on the way this afternoon! There is a winter storm warning for the surrounding areas in effect today though Monday. The dump is expected to start around 3pm this afternoon, with accumulations exceeding 20″ in places by Monday. POWDER DAY TOMORROW? Here is the official forecast for Aspen from the National Weather Service.
- Today: A slight chance of snow before 3pm, then a chance of snow between 3pm and 4pm, then snow likely with areas of blowing snow after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Tonight: Snow with areas of blowing snow. Low around 19. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
- Sunday: Snow likely with areas of blowing snow. Cloudy, with a high near 24. Blustery, with a west northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Sunday Night: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 10. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Monday: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 23. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Monday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4.
- Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28
[iframe src=”http://www.cmnmonline.com/SDi/at_video_house_ad_300x250_2.html” width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
[iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/66578668″ width=”320″ height=”181″ style=”border: 1px solid black;”]On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.