Edward J. Heilbron
September 20, 2013
Edward J. Heilbron was born in Chicago, on July 25, 1916 and grew up in Illinois. He graduated from the Chillicothe Township High School in June, 1934. He received a Bachelor of Arts from the Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois in 1938 and a Juris Doctorate of Law from Northwestern Law School in Chicago, 1941. He entered the Army as a Private in 1942 and retired from the Army Reserve in 1973 as a 0-6 Colonel. He later served as Director of the Bradley Alumnae Association, and Chairman of the Council of Northwestern School Campus in Chicago.
After Moving to Florida in 1952, he was Vice President and Business Manger of Pine Crest High School in Fort Lauderdale. He was a Director of the Fort Lauderdale Executive Association and President of The Fort Lauderdale Rotary Club. He was also President of The Retired Officers Association, President of The Florida Council of Independent Schools, and Director of the United Way in Fort Lauderdale.
After moving to Dallas, Texas in 1976, he served as Commander of the Dallas Chapter of the MOWW. He became a member of the Highland Park Presbyterian Church in Park Cities. He was also the Commander of The Texas Department of the MOWW, and the Commander of Region VIII. While in Dallas, he served as an officer for four years at The National Level of the Military Order of the World Wars.
Colonel Heilbron, as he was affectionately known, had lived in Temple, Texas since 1999. He was a member of the Grace Presbyterian Church, has been an instructor in Senior Defensive Driving, and has been active with the Wildflower Country Club bridge group for years.
He is survived by his wife, Jewel, and his four stepchildren: Ned Butler of Brenham, Texas, Terry Butler of Aspen, Colorado, Karen Foster of Denton, Texas and Gary Butler of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He is also survived by five grandchildren and five great grandchildren living in Texas, Colorado, Mexico, and California.
In Lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: The Military Order of The World of Wars, 435 North Lee Street, Arlington, Virginia, 22314. An organization the Ed loved and spent many countless hours supporting.