News in brief
Pitkin County will consider a fifth and likely final reading of the revised land-use code at 5 p.m. Wednesday. If the code is passed, it will mark the first time in 10 years that the land-use code has been significantly revised. This version has been in the works since April 2004. The code and corresponding maps were published for the second time in The Aspen Times on June 18 after commissioners made amendments. Any substantive changes made during the fifth reading will result in a sixth reading and further publishing in The Aspen Times. This reading marks the last time public will get to comment on the new code. If the code is passed, it will become law on the same day.
Gala and five-mile race both during July 4 weekThe Buddy Program raises its entire budget in a single week with two events: a dinner gala and a five-mile race.Thursday is Boogie’s Bash for the Buddies at Lenny “Boogie” Weinglass’s Merry-Go Ranch, with 600 people signed up for the event, which is expected to raise 80 percent of The Buddy Program budget.The other 20 percent comes from the Boogie’s Diner Buddy 5-Mile Race on Tuesday morning. Both the race and the gala have become events that the community rallies around. There are often more than 100 volunteers who give their time for the gala and a similar number for the race.Lindsay Pfaffman, assistant director for The Buddy Program, said the organization still needs volunteers for both events.The Buddy Program relies on volunteer mentors to give their time and care to young people in the valley. The program is connecting more than 500 children, big buddies and families in the valley.
The Valley Veterans Parade Committee has issued a call for veterans to take part in the Aspen Fourth of July parade on Tuesday.The veterans organization is putting together a parade entry, “Thanks to our Valley Veterans,” to recognize the service of veterans of all wars involving U.S. service personnel.Veterans unable to walk the parade route can call Dick Merritt at 927-5178 to arrange transportation, and anyone who can provide a vehicle for this effort also should call Merritt as soon as possible.Veterans interested in taking part should locate the veterans group near Paepcke Park, the start of the parade route, by 11:15 a.m. on Tuesday.For more information, call Hugh Roberts at 927-4194 or Sally Glenn at 948-8278.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The mandatory mask ordinance would require people in public areas of Snowmass Village, such as the Snowmass Center, Snowmass Mall and Base Village, to wear a mask whether they are inside or outside.